Cignal AI has released its 1st quarter 2017 (1Q17) optical hardware market share analysis, which includes a summary of revenue results for the quarter.
Global spending on optical network equipment eased worldwide, led by a double digit decline in North America.
- Ciena remains the best performing company in North America (NA) as it remained immune to sharp pullbacks in long haul WDM (LH WDM) spending. NA spending continues to stall as a result of a technology transition from long haul to metro WDM capex, as well as materially lower results from Infinera – the second largest vendor in the region.
- European (EMEA) spending was weaker although some vendors reported good results compared with 1Q16.
- Optical equipment spending growth in China stalled as uncertainty about the outlook for 2017 rippled through the industry. Huawei remains very confident growth will return in 2H17 but its component suppliers grow increasingly negative as they receive mixed messages from the supply chain.
- Metro WDM growth has yet to appear in order to offset sharp declines in LH WDM spending. This will change in 2017 as multiple vendors bring the technology to market. Coriant, Infinera, and Nokia have been impacted by this trend.
- Subscribers to the Optical Hardware report can download an excel file with actual results through 1Q17. This Excel file contains only historical data, and it is an interim release. A subsequent file with updated forecasts and additional analysis will be available June 19, 2017.
Detailed analysis of the market and its participants during 1Q17 follows.
Requires Optical Hardware subscription.