Co-packaged optics (CPO) moved from hero experiments to discussions of commercial roadmaps this year. In multiple floor programs, Market Watch, and one-on-one briefings, vendors and operators discussed and debated the requirements and schedule for CPO’s introduction. Key points included:
- Webscale operators made a compelling argument for the need for CPO.
- The application space has expanded beyond L2/3 switching platforms to include AI/ML architectures.
- CPO technology will be deployed initially in pluggable modules.
- While standards and industry agreements are firming up, there are still a lot of options for CPO implementation.
- Reduced system reliability due to CPOs remains a concern.
- More companies are now pursuing CPO solutions, including some major industry players.
- Competing implementations and technical challenges make it difficult to determine a timeline for introduction.
Clients log in to access full report