Cignal AI has issued the 3Q20 Transport Customer Markets Report. This report tracks optical and packet transport hardware purchases across four global regions from Incumbent, Wholesale, Cloud & Colo, Cable MSO & Broadband, Enterprise & Government network operators. It details vendor market share and provides a forecast for equipment sales to each operator type.
Highlights this quarter:
- North American optical and packet transport hardware spending growth shifted dramatically from the Cloud & Colo operators to the Incumbents this quarter. North American Incumbents are on track to grow spending much faster than Cloud operators during 2020.
- APAC Cloud & Colo optical spending increased again after its uncharacteristically large growth last quarter. Growth was spurred by Huawei’s sales to OTT operators in China, though Nokia also had a strong quarter in the region.
- Ciena maintained the top worldwide market share of Cloud & Colo optical this quarter despite a YoY decline in sales. Ciena dominates the North American market, although its annualized market share dropped from a year ago.
- EMEA packet transport sales were strong this quarter, though the total market declined worldwide. EMEA sales increases spread across all customer markets, with only Enterprise & Government declining.
- Enterprise & Government optical spending was up over 50% worldwide this quarter as it continued to defy market expectations. Every vendor grew optical equipment sales in the third quarter. Huawei, Ciena, Nokia, Cisco, and NEC had especially notable growth.
- Nokia reclaimed the top market share position in EMEA Traditional Telco packet sales from Huawei this quarter despite YoY growth from Huawei. Huawei’s reporting schedule typically yields a lower Q1/Q3 compared to Q2/Q4, which influences the leadership changes quarter to quarter.
- The fourth quarter will be challenging outside of APAC, with both Traditional Telco and Cloud & Colo sales forecast to decline worldwide.
Optical Customer Market Report subscribers can now download the latest Excel file and register for a Live Presentation on December 15th, 2020.
Clients log in to access full report