|Summary||This report tracks optical equipment spending and port shipments for specific types of equipment designed to meet the needs of a specific application. We collect shipment information and guidance from equipment companies as well as the supply chain each quarter, and estimate each companies shipments in each of the defined categories. Forecasts are based on expected spending and shipment trends for given applications on a regional basis.|
|Methodology||We classify some of the vendor revenue and ports shipped tracked in the Optical Hardware report according to the systems named in our vendor table. Companies may provide public guidance but in some cases we make estimates based on external sources, such as consumption of components from the supply chain.|
|Market Size and Share||Report includes revenue based market size and share for Compact Modular and Advanced Packet-OTN Switching segments, and detailed port based market size and vendor market share for 100G+ shipments.|
|Deliverables||Excel file with complete data set, PowerPoint summary, and Optical Equipment Active Insight, including a detailed summary of market performance for the report period.|
|Forecast||5 Years with annual market size totals. No market share forecasts.|
|Historical Start Date||2014|
|Companies Included||Adtran, ADVA, Ciena, Cisco, Coriant, Cyan, ECI, Ekinops, Fiberhome, Huawei, Infinera, NEC, Nokia, NTT Electronics (NEL), Padtec, TE Conn, Transmode, Xtera, ZTE, Inphi, Fujitsu, Juniper Networks, Acacia, Fujitsu|
|Last Published Report||1H17: September 14, 2017|
|Upcoming Publication Dates||2H17: March 15, 2018|
1H18: September 15, 2018
2H18: March 15, 2019
1H19: September 15, 2019
|Category Name||Description||Regional Detail||Sub-Category Detail|
|100G+ Ports by Vendor||Shipments of 100G+ coherent and non-coherent ports by vendor with quarterly granularity; used to calculate vendor 100G+ market share.||Worldwide||100G+
|100G+ Ports by Hardware Type||Actual and forecasted shipments of physical 100G+ ports by reach and technology type; Classified as Edge (<100km), Metro (<600km), and Long Haul (>600km); Edge breaks out both coherent & non-coherent volume, and Metro breaks out both 100G and 200G+ port shipments||Worldwide||Edge Direct Detect
Edge Coherent 100G
Edge Coherent 200G
Edge Coherent 400G+
Metro Coherent 100G
Metro Coherent 200G
Long Haul Coherent 100G
|100G+ Ports by Reach||Actual and forecasted shipments of 100G+ capacity by reach; measured in 100G equivalents to account for 200G and 400G cohernet port shipments. Classified as Edge (<100km), Metro (<600km), and Long Haul (>600km)||Worldwide||Edge 100G
Long Haul 100G
|Compact Modular Optical Hardware||Hardware and common equipment designed specifically for use in open & disaggregated hardware applications; typically a stackable 600mm chassis; includes some hardware sourced from contract manufacturers (whitebox) and component manufacturers sold directly to operators; includes common equipment sold in compact modular format for open line systems.||NA, EMEA, CALA, APAC||NONE
|Advanced Packet-OTN Switching Hardware||Optical hardware configured with a centralized traffic-agnostic switch fabric; may also include layer-2 switching functions; includes distributed switching architectures that can support more than 2 cards; does not include line-card muxponders.||NA, EMEA, CALA, APAC||NONE
- Initial release of 1H17 Optical Applications .ppt
- Initial release of 1H17 Optical Applications .xls. Initiated forecast of 400G port estimates.
- Adjusted estimates of Chinese 100G domestic and international demand for Huawei. Updated DCI table with new vendors and photos.
- Initial release for 2H16. Full CY16 results. Significantly increased DCI Hardware forecast. Adjusted 100G Coherent forecast. All forecasts extended to 2021.
- Initial Release
- Updated Advanced Switching definition. Corrected description of 100G port market share.
- Initial release.
- Updated 1H16 release with market share and up to date forecasts. Revised 2016 100G ports slightly upward based on feedback from component vendors. Increased mix of 200G ports in 2017.
- Full release with 1H16 market share and up to date forecasts.
- Initial Release
- 1H17 Optical Applications Report (9/14/2017)
- OFC 2017 – Compact DCI Equipment (4/14/2017)
- 2H16 Optical Applications Report (4/10/2017)
- 1H16 Optical Applications Updated (1/18/2017)
- 1H16 Optical Hardware Applications (9/15/2016)
- 2H15 Optical Hardware Applications (7/12/2016)
|Compact Modular Optical Hardware|
|Fujitsu||1Finity (T-Series, L-series)
|Advanced Packet-OTN Switching Hardware|