Our 1H17 edition of the Optical Hardware Applications report has been released.
The report contains details on the following areas:
- Compact Modular hardware market share and forecasts
- 100G+ Coherent port shipments vendor market share
- 100G, 200G, and 400G+ Coherent and Direct Detect port shipments and forecast
- Advanced Packet-OTN Switching market share and forecasts
This report includes significant updates and enhancements:
- Initiated a coherent 400G port shipment forecast, estimating demand for 400G wavelengths in CY17 and beyond, including the upcoming 400G ZR pluggable format. The forecast also quantifies the emergence of coherent 100G in volume at the edge of the optical network. A more detailed written analysis sharing the assumptions behind this forecast will be published in the coming weeks. In the meantime, we welcome feedback on the quantitative forecast.
- Renamed DCI Hardware category to “Compact Modular”. DCI is an application, not a hardware category, and these compact, modular chassis are being used in several applications, including DCI. As Incumbent, Cable MSO, and Wholesale operators evaluate and deploy these systems it is important that this category name better reflect the defining characteristics of these systems. A listing of the specific systems in this category can be found here.
- Added 1H17 market share results for Compact Modular and Advanced Packet-OTN Switching equipment hardware. Also updated coherent port shipment market share to include vendor results for 1H17.
- Compact Modular hardware forecast increased in 2017 and 2018 as result of discussions with vendors. This is a bottoms-up change with the risk that multiple vendors are double-counting the same opportunities.
- Historical 100G+ Port Shipments adjusted to align with actual customer shipment data.
Current subscribers can download Excel and PowerPoint files.