Cignal AI has released its comprehensive 3rd quarter 2016 (3Q16) optical equipment market share analysis, which provides a summary of revenue results for the quarter.
The global spending on optical network equipment increased dramatically in 3Q16, with all global regions showing increased spending year over year (vs 3Q15).
- In North America, Ciena, Nokia, ADVA and Coriant all recorded positive year over year (YoY) results with Cloud and Colo customers driving large revenue gains. Overall, the NA region grew more modestly YoY than some of the other regions. Cable MSO’s spending declined, and large gains from the above vendors offset revenue declines at both Fujitsu and Infinera.
- Huawei was the driver of YoY growth for EMEA yet again, as the company’s strong performance continued to mask declines in revenue for other equipment vendors in the region. Excluding Huawei, there was a sharp decline in spending, and Infinera was the only other vendor with substantial YoY gains.
- Chinese optical equipment spending continued to surge, 20+% YoY, as coherent 100G deployment marched forward. Chinese equipment companies anticipate further growth through 2017, with an acceleration in metro WDM deployment next year.
- Outside of the secular boom benefiting Chinese suppliers, Ciena and Nokia performed well YoY and ADVA preserved large gains it made in 2Q16. A common denominator of growth was exposure to the Cloud and Colo sector.
- Japanese equipment suppliers enjoyed a second quarter of YoY revenue increases as 100G deployment is ramping up in the region. At the same time, a market share shift from NEC to Fujitsu appears to be taking place.
Subscribers to the Optical Hardware report can download an excel file with actual results through 3Q16. This Excel file contains only historical data, and it is an interim release. A subsequent file with updated forecasts and additional analysis will be available November 28th.
Detailed analysis of the 3Q16 market and its participants follows.
Requires Optical Hardware subscription